Monday, May 19, 2008

Readers are plentiful, thinkers are rare


I’m a snob. Fine. Whatever. But, when did USED bookstores become snobby? Seriously. I went to Changing Hands last weekend (which I love) and had a few books to get rid of. There were a couple titles I wanted to pick up and figured, hey, I’ll sell my books back and get some credit…sure why not? So, I give them nearly 15 books. Now, I’m good with books. I don’t trash them, I don’t have them near water so they get that gross wet wiggly look to them and I certainly don’t make notes, fold corners or anything else crazy. So, when they gave me back my bag and it only had two books missing I was confused. Huh? She said yes, we don’t buy paperbacks that have creases in the bindings. So, how do you read them without creasing the binding. The dirty look she gave me was completely not necessary. I was totally serious. How can I accomplish that? Teach me snobby used bookstore peddler.

Anyone know of any less particular book stores where I may unload these books? Don’t say Bookman’s. Again, I am a snob and this snob has her limits.

Update: Ok, I no longer have limits. I went to bookmans at lunch and they only bought back 3 more books. They asked if I wanted to donate them. Heck no, thank you very much, I'll just haul these last 10 books around with me until I find someone who wants them. Anyone want some free books?

1 comment:

Ern said...

OMG! This is hilarious. It's okay to admit you're a snob... I'm a snob too. :) ...and I can't believe Changing Hands! Gimme a break.. they're a USED bookstore... what do they expect? To sell NEW books??? I don't think soooo...