Monday, April 1, 2013

Cheesy Sausage & Spinach Casserole

Made a really yummy breakfast casserole for Easter yesterday and thought I’d share. Super easy and I already had everything I needed…except half and half because who keeps half and half on hand??

nope, thats not our fancy Easter, Jesus-approved flatware...I'm having leftovers for
lunch today at the office.

Sausage & Spinach Breakfast Casserole

1 lb breakfast sausage – I used the kind that comes in that tube thing
1 package stuffing mix, prepared – I used the cornbread flavor
3 eggs
1 bag chopped spinach, thawed and dried
1 ½ cups half and half
8oz of your favorite sprinkle cheese – we used Monterey jack cause that what I had
A couple cloves of garlic – I used minced as I always have that available and I’m lazy
2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese

Prepare stuffing and set aside.  Cook the sausage over medium heat until it isn’t pink anymore.  Add in garlic and smell the yumminess. Drain the fat…unless you like the fat in there still fatty.  Mix in spinach and prepared stuffing until it’s all combined.  Dump into greased baking dish and cover with sprinkle cheese.  Combine eggs and half and half in small bowl and pour over casserole.  Shake dish around so that the egg mixture really gets in there.  Bake for 30 minutes at 400*.  The cheese on top should be lightly toasted but not burnt.  Sprinkle the parmesan on top and bake for another 5-10 minutes until it gets bubbly.  Let it sit for a few minutes before serving so it can set up.

This was a hit with our family.  Even my sister who doesn't like stuffing tried it and liked it. We ate it a couple hours later since the fam was running late so I’m anxious to try it piping hot next time. You can certainly add onion or spices to this if you wanted to but I think it was fine without anything additional. I think I’d consider adding another egg next time since I really like eggs but it’s great as-is.  

No comments: