Monday, July 13, 2009

Crockpot Tuesday

Aahhh. I took a quick pic of our meal last night and then my camera died immediately after the flash went off...wtf...nothing there when I just downloaded. damn. so, i have no photo but that's ok. This is a really simple one so it will be pretty easy to imagine i suppose.

i definitely stole this photo from google images


Teriyaki Chicken with Veggies & Fried Rice

2-3 chicken breasts, halved
1 box fried rice - rice-a-roni
1 bag of frozen veggies-partially thawed
enough teriyaki to nearly cover chicken

Spray crock pot with nonstick cooking spray. Halve chicken breasts and place in bottom of cooker. Pour enough teriyaki to almost cover chicken. Cook on Hi for 3 hours. With 90 minutes to go, dump the box of rice-a-roni and the seasoning package in over chicken. Mix well and recover quickly. (I think I heard somewhere that leaving the lid off for 1 minute is the equivalent to losing 10 minutes of heat - it's possible I made that up.) With only an hour left, dump the semi-frozen veggies into crock pot and stir some more.

This was really good. the chicken was really tender and because the breasts were halved, the chicken really soaked up the teriyaki sauce well. Great flavor and the rice and veggies really made it a complete meal. We had this for leftovers the next night too and paired it with a simple green salad. Easy peasy. The only thing I'd change is that the rice and seasoning were really strong. The typical preparation of the rice is with a couple cups of water i think so the way I dumped it in there was no dilution. Next time, I'll add a cup of water at the time I add the rice and seasoning so that it's not quite as intense. When we had it as leftovers, I reheated it on the stove with some water and it was much better i think. Super simple and great tasting.

No comments: