Monday, July 27, 2009

Crockpot Tuesday

I love soup. Jeffrey doesn't. I made something that is kinda soup, kinda chili. Here it is:


Beef & Bean Soup (kinda)
1 lb ground beef
14 oz beef broth
1 bag frozen veggies
1 1/2 cups water
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 tsp minced garlic
1 can tomato paste

Put frozen veggies in bottom of crock. (Veggies always go in bottom, as they take longer to cook than meats.) Dump all other ingredientes into crock pot and cook on hi for 4 hours or low for 8.


Well, I didn't have beef broth laying around, so i disolved 3 beef boullion cubes in 14 oz water instead. I also didn't have onion powder, but I did have onion soup mix so I used that instead. Figure it has more spices in it anyway, so why not? The recipe I found only had veggies, beef and water so I added the other items. Really any frozen veggies will work, this is just what I had around.

I made cornbread and corn on the cob and it was all great. The flavor was wonderful. If you wanted something a bit creamier for a soup, you can add a 1/2 cup of sour cream before serving and mix it well. You could also bulk up the soup by adding some pasta during the last 30 minutes or so of cooking. Next time, I think I'll mix the ground beef with the spices before putting it in the crockpot to pump up the flavor of the beef. I thought it was great as is though and we'll have this again.

No comments: