Sunday, April 22, 2012

Low Carb Chili

I had lots of success dropping some lbs when I cut out carbs - not completely but well, significantly.  The tough thing is coming up with plenty of options for meals. Well, that's what I find tough.

Now that I'm trying to get back on board with low carb eating, I thought it would be helpful to post about the random things I put together. I really enjoy cooking, but I'm not great at blogging recently so I'm therefore not great at chronicling what I've made so I can replicate it.

I love chili and the spicier the better as far as we're concerned. I miss the beans but that's ok, clearly I'll survive.

I couldn't find a recipe online that suited me - mostly because I have about 12 ingredients on hand and several of them include various flavors of crystal light packets. For that reason, many of the recipes I found would have been asking a bit much of our pantry. I was too lazy to run out to get supplies so this is what I came up with for chili tonight.

2.5 lbs of ground beef
1 can tomatoes
1 cup chopped celery
3 cloves garlic - or 2T minced garlic
1 T chili powder
1 can green chilis
2 cups beef broth

Brown ground beef along with seasoning and garlic. drain after all browned. add in broth, celery, chilis and tomatoes and simmer for an hour. You can add more or less broth depending on how you like your chili. Liquid always forms when you simmer so go easy on the broth would be my recommendation. 

I know there are ways to make this more low carb, but I didn't investigate enough. if you have any suggestions, let me know!!



No comments: