Monday, April 30, 2012

Chicken tortilla soup

Everytime I have chicken tortilla soup at a restaurant I tell Jeff "I need to make this at home". He never reminds me because as far as Jeff is concerned we could eat hotdogs seven nights a week.

I found a mostly healthy recipe and adjusted it a bit to omit things I didn't want, add things I did and make it a crockpot recipe.

1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded
1 can chicken broth
1 can corn
1 can enchilada sauce
1 can chopped green chilis
1 can whole peeled tomatoes, smashed
1 medium onion, chopped
2 choices garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 T cilantro
1 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1 bay leaf

Dump everything in crock and cook on low for 10 hours or hi for 4 hours. 

Also, I refuse to cook meat just to end up putting it in the crock pot so I just cubed the raw chicken and put it in the crock with everything else. Next time i would do the same but shred the chicken halfway through cooking so the meat soaks up all the flavor. Otherwise this was amazing. REALLY spicy though, so leave out the chili powder maybe if you don't like it hot!

Enjoy!


No comments: