Wednesday, February 11, 2015

I think I'm back to blogging...and i'm leading with a Taco Bell knock off?

I haven't blogged in like 2 years maybe. No clue. Should have checked that out before I started this post. I just ran out of time to do it. But I'm back. I think I'm back. We'll see. 

How's that for commitment? 

Bear loves burritos, like LOVES them. He's always asking me to make them but Taco Bell makes them the way he likes for less than a buck so why challenge it? Plus casseroles are easier to prep and use for leftovers so I wanted to try and make some sort of bean burrito casserole. This is what I came up with and as usual, I didn't take any photos before we dug in. It looked good. Trust.

the TB version. not mine.

Beef & Bean Tortilla Bake
1 lb ground beef
1 can black beans, drained
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can stewed tomatoes, or a can of tomato sauce if you're like me and never seem to freakin' have stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup water
4 tortillas - I used two wheat and two spinach cause that's just what I had
1 cup shredded cheese
taco seasoning to taste

Preheat to 350. Cut tortillas in half and then 1 inch strips. Brown meat and drain. Add all beans, tomatoes, water and seasoning and heat for a couple minutes. Right before you take it off the heat, mix in 1/2 the shredded cheese.  Spread 2 cups of meat mixture in bottom of a 8x8 dish. Layer 1/2 the tortilla strips over meat. Add another 2 cups of meat mixture. And one more layer of tortilla. Pour remaining meat and cook for 30 minutes or until it smells amazing and starts to bubble. Add the rest of your cheese and heat for 5 more minutes.


OMG. enjoy. it's so good. My kids are total wimpy white boys for spice so I had to go easy on the seasoning. If I was making a dish just for Jeff and I, I'd likely add a can of green chilies and a bunch more seasoning. Even without the heat, it was great. Bear had two helpings and Connor who pretends to hate beans even said it was great and happily boxed some up for lunch leftovers. I call it a win. 

No comments: