Friday, September 14, 2012

Crockpot Tuesday

except that it's Friday.

I did actually make this on Tuesday I think. It may have been Wednesday. Who could say? Not I. I'm just happy that I am posting food stuff again. Food stuff. That's right, I'm fancy.

We do bountiful baskets co-op for our produce and since you never know what you are going to get, it forces us me to get creative with our meals.

We got hatch chiles last weekend and I have never prepared them before. Eaten them?  Yes. Never prepared them though. I spent about 13 seconds online finding how i roast them and set to work. They came out beautiful...especially considering I did them in the oven instead of on the grill. It's too hot outside and i'm too lazy. 

broil as close to the element as possible. 15 minutes on each side or until they get all
blistery and blackened. Put in plastic bag for 20 minutes to steam. pull off all blistery skin, remove
seeds and stem. You'll be left with the actual pepper meaty goodness
Jeff and I both love chili so I decided to use the chiles for a big batch since we usually have all the ingredients on hand. 

how did the Del Monte corn make its way into the pantry? Clearly, we only buy Kroger brand.

chopped up onion, can of tomato sauce, couple tablespoons of minced garlic, can of peeled tomatoes, corn (drained), couple cans of black beans, hatch chiles, three lbs of ground beef.  I don't brown the meat before dumping it in the crockpot. I don't see the point in cooking something just to dump it in the crockpot. I will however, mix garlic along with a couple tablespoons of chili powder into the meat before i put it in the crock. Dump all ingredients into the crockpot and cook for 4 hours on high or 10 on low.

You'd think that after I took the time to photograph ingredients and chiles, I'd have thought to take a quick pic of the finished product but nope. I do however have this:


it was good.
 
Do you have a favorite chili recipe?? Do you like yours sweet or spicy?

No comments: