Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Week 12 Update

Because of my overall crappy feelings, the doctor had me come back in three weeks rather than a month for a checkup. Last night we had the appointment and Jeffrey brought Connor along. I think he was pretty freaked out seeing me in the doctor's office-not sure but he didn't love the idea. We'll probably avoid that with future appointments, except an ultrasound maybe. I think he may like that part.

The appointment started with the nurse telling me that I've lost 10lbs so far. While this would typically be a victory...it's not when you're trying to sustain a pregnancy. The next part always freaks me out...trying to find the heartbeat with the doppler. Now, since the baby is too small (size of a lime!) right now for me to feel him/her moving and know that he/she is ok, the doppler waiting game is scary. The nurse tried and tried for a few minutes (felt like hours) and couldn't find it. She had another woman come in who found it pretty quick so that was a relief. You can just feel your own heart pounding with every second that passes and they can't find the baby's heart. Such a horrible feeling. But, they found it and that's all that matters.

My doctor was genuinely shocked that his super duper recommendation didn't change my life in regards to my nausea and vommiting. He said to keep trying it and so I will. Today I tried to force down one piece of PB toast. I only got through half before it made it's exit. Fail.

He said that he was concerned with my weight loss and that I need to do whatever I can to gain the weight. I'm kinda at a loss. I know I'm not eating nearly enough, but it's truly difficult when you feel as if you are on the edge of throwing up 24 hours a day. Feeling like that does not make you want to have a sandwich. I am eating, just not enough. He went on to explain that the baby is growing--for now--but that we'll reach an impass where the baby stops growing if I don't start gaining weight myself. Well, I can't let that happen so it's game on. I don't really know what I mean by game on, but I'm just going to have to try harder I suppose. He told me that if I like burritos, eat burritos. If I like chicken nuggets, eat chicken nuggets. It's the caloric intake I need now, so whatever sounds good should be eaten.

At this point, I've stopped taking both of the Rx. They don't work and that's ok, I've just got to wait it out. I'm hoping that this baby adheres to the typical 13 week point where all morning sickness subsides. We shall see. As of yesterday, I'm officially 12 weeks along.

He told me that he wants to see me back in 2 weeks to make sure my levels are good. I had more blood drawn and was outta there until next time.

According to my weekly emails, the baby is doing some pretty great stuff in week 12. Reflexes are developing so the baby can open and close fingers, curl toes, and start making the sucking movements with his/her mouth. The baby weighs about an ounce right now and is about 2 inches long from head to bottom. Kidneys are starting to produce urine so things are moving along.

I think that's all the update for now. I'm happy to be nearing the end of the first trimester. I felt like being pregnant with Connor just flew by but this one seems to be taking it's time :)

3 comments:

Karen said...

Yay for hearing the heartbeat! Boo for the constant nausea though. :( I hope that passes soon.

Jill said...

What about the weight loss shakes from Costco? I know that is not the point, but maybe you could get those down and keep them down?

The Neerings Family said...

Try not to worry too much--I know saying that to a pregnant person is kinda stupid--but I have to tell you out of the last 10 people that had/are having babies that I know only a few of us were on the positive side of weight gain (me of course). One of my good friends just had an 8lb 12oz baby and was down 30lbs! Obviously you want the baby to keep growing, but he/she is getting everything they can from you. They are strong little beings! Keep eating and eating and eating and hopefully some of will stick...and of what does the baby will get it!