Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Crockpot Tuesday

I really need to continue keeping an eye out for sales on soups because they make the best crock pot meals! Last time soups were on sale, I bought a ton of cream of chicken, cream of cheddar, cream of mushroom, cream of celery…you get the idea. So last night we made something that wasn’t really from a book or recipe. I don’t really know what to call it so we’ll go with easy, creamy chicken because that’s pretty much what it was.


Easy, Creamy Chicken

3 chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of cheddar soup
1 can chicken and rice soup
8 oz sour cream

I season the chicken with some garlic powder, salt and pepper before dropping it into the crock pot. Pour all soups into crock as well. (I’ve seen recipes where you mix up the liquid ingredients before adding to the crock so they are well combined, but I do the slow cooker for the convenience so I def don’t do that part.) Cook 6-8 hours. Add sour cream during the last ½ hour of cooking and you are all set.

This was really great. I was nearly out of soup, so I just used what I had (listed above in recipe). I think that as long as you have plenty of liquid, you can use any creamy soups you have on hand. I’m all about using what I’ve got in the cupboard. The chicken was so flippin tender and I think it was because I didn’t halve it. I think that since I tend to cook things longer, I need to stick with keeping the chicken breast whole so it doesn’t dry out after 8 hours of cooking. You could certainly toss in some frozen veggies during the last hour or so if you wanted to just do your side at the same time. I’m a fan of that, but it’s not as simple when the crock is already done by the time you get home from work.

Enjoy!

No comments: