Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Crockpot Tuesday

Before my great endeavor this year, I only used my crock pot every few months when we made pot roast. That's all my mom ever used her crock pot for so i knew nothing else. I still love, love a pot roast, but figured I'd mix it up just a wee bit. nothing crazy, just a bit different.


Pot Roast
3lb shoulder roast
6 potatoes, peeled & quartered
1/2 a bag of baby carrots
3 beef boullion cubes
1 can of cream of cellery soup
1 can of water
rub of salt, pepper, celery salt and garlic powder

prep the roast with a rub of salt, pepper, celery salt and garlic powder. cover bottom of crock pot with carrots. place roast in crock and arrange potatoes around roast. mix soup and water together and pour over roast. drop boullion cubes in. Low 10 hours.


I get the crock pot all ready the night before so i don't have to do it at 5am in the morning when i'm getting ready for work! Right before I leave, i dump in any wet ingredients and start it cooking. so for this recipe, i have all the veggies, roast and cubes in the crock overnight in the fridge. I combine the water and soup so that I can just dump it in the next morning. if you like more liquid in your roast, add more water. you could add more cubes if you are concerned with it losing flavor due to the extra water. just don't look at the nutritional content of boullion cubes, trust. a lot of recipes call for celery, but i am not a fan of soggy celery so i decided to add cream of celery soup instead. It's tough to go wrong with pot roast, so any spices you add are probably fine.

There is nothing like walking into a house with a crock pot that has been going all day. Yum. This was really good and I'm glad i added the cream of celery soup. it had a great effect on the tenderness of the meat and the flavor was delish! our favorite part though, are the veggies so next time i'll dump more carrots as those are always gone in one or two servings. Tonight i think we'll make sandwiches from our leftovers :)

No comments: