Sunday, July 4, 2010

Crockpot Tuesday...on Sunday

There's no way I'm able to bring back Crockpot Tuesday right now...though I really should. Our eating has been hit or miss since Noah arrived, so having a bit more structure would be amazing. But...it's just not going to happen at this time so why lay on the pressure, right? :)

So even though I don't know when I'll be able to have weekly crockpot posts happening, I have a new one today. We did a pot roast last week and bought one of those 5lb bags of red potatoes. We do this every time...I buy the bag because it's cheap and we need the potatoes for the roast and then we don't use the rest of the bag and a couple weeks later I remember but it's too late...they look like this. gross.

so i decided that this time around, we'd use the potatoes. since i'm home during the day right now i can start the crock pot at a convenient time and that helps. here's a super simple recipe we came up with tonight.

Chicken & Potatoes

4 chicken breasts
6 red potatoes, sliced thick
equal parts of the following spices:
basil
thyme
oregano
rosemary
1 Tbsp italian dressing

After I sliced up the potatoes, I put them in a plastic bag with some of the spices and the dressing. Close it up and shake it up so that the mixture saturates the potatoes. Dump them in the bottom of the crockpot. You can use as much or as little of the spices as you want to. Then use the rest of the spice mixture to season both sides of the chicken. Drop that in the crock and cook on hi for 4 hours. No liquid is needed for this one. If there are other spices you like, use those...I just use what I have on hand.

This turned out great and the chicken was so tender. Next time the only thing I'll change is that I'll puncture the chicken so that the spices soak in a bit more. The potatoes were fully cooked and had good flavor from the spices too. This was stupid easy and could be changed up easily with different seasonings. Maybe I'll use a bit of an italian seasoning packet next time. yum.

Anyway, no pics of this one because I didn't even think about posting it until after we ate it.

Let me know if you try this and if you changed it up at all. I'll try to keep it up with the recipes!

No comments: