Monday, April 13, 2009

Crockpot Tuesday

We got some really nice steaks at Safeway this past week. For me, the only way to cook steak is on the grill but I thought I'd try something in the crock pot since we never make time to bbq.


Italian Slow Cooker Steak

1 1/2 lb steak
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
15oz pasta sauce, any flavor

Coat the steak(s) in the seasoning and put in crock pot. Dump the sauce over the steak and you're all done. Cook on Low for 8 hours.

I did a four cheese pasta sauce from a can. S implicity is the goal, so i combined everything the night before and just took it out of the fridge in the morning and started it. I think it's best to spray some Pam or whatever in the crock first to avoid a difficult cleanup. I always add garlic, but it's definitely optional. You can really add any other spices to this, especially Italian spices. If you like it with more "gravy" add one 8oz can of tomato paste/sauce.

I thought this turned out alright. The steak was pretty tender and really soaked up the flavoring of the spices-especially the garlic so tone it down or omit it completely if you aren't a garlic lover like I am. With grilling, the seasoning stays on the outside of the steak, but the slow cooker really allowed the steak to take on the flavors of the other ingredients. I was worried about the steak being overcooked, so i didn't cut it to smaller sizes before cooking. It still ended up a bit chewy so i'd cook it for less time on my next attempt. Plus, with the only liquid being pasta sauce, it scorched my crock pot beyond cleaning-not really, but kinda. We served it with some veggies (from a steamer bag) and garlic toast (from a box) and were done! The meat just came apart in a yummy way, so it would be great for sandwiches too.

BTW-I know that so many of you try out these recipes and I'd love to hear how they turn out for you. Did you do something different? Did you add that you really liked? Or is there something you want to see on here? I'd love ideas for new simple recipes to try out and post about so let's hear them! Thanks:)

No comments: